A Memorandum Service is a way in which a customer can view material of interest from a remote location. It has a legal definition and legal consequences*.
How it works:
- A customer requests that an assortment of items be sent for selection.
- The customer is responsible for the care of these items while in his/her possession and until the returned items are received at The Gem Shop, Inc.
- The customer is also responsible for the shipping charges both ways, even if no items are purchased.
- The customer will make his/her selection and return the unwanted items within the time frame allotted (usually no more than 7 days after receipt).
- The customer’s credit card number will be on file at The Gem Shop, Inc. and will be charged for the initial shipping expense.
- The customer’s credit card will be charged for the total value of the memo on the return/notification date unless (1) The Gem Shop receives the merchandise back by the return/notification date or (2) is notified by return/notification date of the items chosen to purchase.
- The unwanted items must be carefully packaged and returned to The Gem Shop, Inc. with full insurance coverage. Payment (check, money order, or authorization to use credit card) for items kept by the customer must be included in the package with returned items. A fee of $25.00 will be charged to the customer for any returned check and all collection expenses incurred by The Gem Shop, Inc. will be paid by the customer.
- When payment is received by The Gem Shop, Inc., an sales receipt will be issued and mailed to the customer, at which time all rights of ownership will pass to the buyer.
- Receipt of this document indicates agreement with these terms.
*The goods described and valued in the memorandum document are delivered to you (consignee) for EXAMINATION AND INSPECTION ONLY and are the property of The Gem Shop, Inc. and subject to their order and shall be returned to them on demand. Such merchandise, until returned to them and actually received, is at your risk from all hazards. NO RIGHT OR POWER IS GIVEN TO YOU TO SELL, PLEDGE, HYPOTHECATE, OR OTHERWISE DISPOSE OF THIS MERCHANDISE regardless of prior transactions. A sale of this merchandise can only be effected and title will pass only if, as and when The Gem Shop, Inc. shall agree to such a sale and a bill of sale (invoice) rendered thereof. The consignee agrees to be personally responsible for this merchandise and also agrees to pay all shipping charges.